Updated: Oct 29, 2022
The legacy of Sam Houston lives on at the Samuel W. Houston Museum and Cultural Center.
During 1905-1906 Professor Samuel W. Houston established the Sam Houston Industrial and Training School in the Galilee community, west of Huntsville on the north side of Highway 30. The Malinda and Sanford Williams family donated the original land for the school. A small historical marker has been placed at the original site.
One cannot praise these educators enough for their dedication to the cause of educating the poorest of the poor, of a downtrodden people in very hard times. They have not been forgotten nor will they ever be as long as there are those who relish education.